It’s a cliche but January is usually the time I reassess my health habits and this includes attending those gym classes I have been putting off throughout December as I definitely over-indulge on the wine and chocolate.
For me it’s far less about being ‘skinny’ than being healthy and strong. When I am working out I am generally a happier person. I have more energy, make healthier choices with my food, sleep better and my clothes certainly fit better. After Decembers fun my skinny jeans are feeling rather tight!
So to make it more fun I like to buy a few new pieces to wear in the gym, and at the moment the highstreet in full of amazing workout gear for great prices. I bought these H&M leggings and cannot wait to wear them with my black Nike roshe runs. I also wanted to introduce you to one of my favourite swimwear brands which also does incredible workout gear. Seriously stylish and super sexy gym tights and tops. I have included my favourite here but check out the website for the full collection is it divine and will make even the biggest gym-phobe want to hit the treadmill!
H&M sports leggings
Varley black tights
Varley Pico tights
And here is a round-up of my favourite inspo shots to help get you in the mood for working out. They say a Summer body is made in Winter so here goes and here’s to stylish workouts all round!
Love to hear your get-fit tips and of any great work-out gear you know of…
As a Summer girl through and through I feel naked without a tan, not a just stepped off the beach tan, but a glow, enough to make my lack of sleep and gin soaked skin look more alive. I have been a huge fan of the Vita Liberata body tan for months now following an Instagram tip-off from the amazing Allesandra Steinherr. If you don’t follow her already you really should, she is the beauty gospel and has so many amazing hints and tips with her #askalex here is her website. So she has also been praising the Sisley hydrating facial self tan but with such a hefty price tag I couldn’t justify it. Then, on a grey and dreary Wednesday morning, a bag of marmite rice cakes flung across the beauty hall floor in the midst of a tantrum (toddler not me) I caved and bought it. But boy am I glad I did!
I have very dehydrated skin and am constantly, perhaps to its detriment, piling on masks and night creams so if I am using a cream in the day, even for self-tan it needs to be hydrating and this is beautifully hydrating. My skin feels soft and looks plumper. The tan is subtle and sun-kissed and no nasty smell. You only need to use twice a week, across your whole face and down your neck. Sisley describes it as beautifying your complexion and perfecting your skin. My skin doesn’t look perfect, more ‘beautiful’ perhaps, but naturally tanned yes. The tan is even, and lasts even using my Clarisonic each evening.
I will be monitoring how long one bottle lasts before I commit to re-purchasing but I hope it lasts… this is one product I want to keep in my little beauty arsenal!
Buy it here…
Do you have any great winter skin tips? Love to hear them and your comments on the post thank you… Vx
Charlotte Tilbury is the celebrity makeup artist of the moment, and she has just won the InStyle magazine 2015 makeup artist of the year award. Last Friday I went for a pre-booked makeover at Charlotte Tilbury and I was really excited to see what tips and tricks I could get from them, as well as redeeming the £15 I’d put down on the session… and more I was sure!
I knew I would have to choose from one of ten looks before the makeover started and my husband and I had a quick browse the night before. His choice was ‘Sophisticate’ or ‘Uptown Girl’ but I was drawn to either ‘Ingenue’ or ‘Golden Goddess’. The makeup artist in charge of my beauty destiny recommended the ‘Golden Goddess’ so I was all set to be made up into a glowing cali girl!
It all started with skincare and then the layers of makeup. The final look was very polished and very golden. I don’t like to look like I have made a huge effort. I love that make-up look that looks like you’re actually not wearing anything so I wasn’t a fan of the eyeshadow, too shimmery for me, nor the lipstick, too ‘done’ for me. But the skin, eyelashes, eyebrows, cheeks etc were just as I had hoped. So then came the selling, which did get a little hard-sell… I opted for the mascara, which was big as I have used the same Chanel mascara for years. Also bought the eyebrow pencil which I think was the BEST purchase, it has a great nib, colour and a fantastic highlighter for under the brow which makes the brow so defined. In fact the video (below) shows it being used just in the arch but if you use it from the start of your brow it works miracles! Then finally… I bought the most amazing sculpt and highlight set which I have linked below. This beauty is seriously good. It gives your face incredible definition and is so easy to use. No crazy contouring just defined features. Love it!
I’ve included all the details of my look, how to achieve it, and the best products (in my humble opinion) below… as well as all the other looks you can choose from if you fancy booking yourself in for a session.
Here’s a link to how to use the mascara that has won me away from Chanel…
This is the amazing palette I bought and click here for a tutorial on how to use it...
And click here for how to use the eyebrow pencil.
These are Charlottes tips on how to get the Goddess look….
HOW TO APPLY
- Prepare the skin with Charlotte’s Magic Cream, massaging the product into the skin and next apply Wonderglow for a golden glow. For a more luminous dewy complexion, mix the Wonderglow with your shade of Light Wonder foundation and apply all over the face. Use The Retoucher on targeted areas, such as redness, blemishes and dark circles, tapping the product on to the skin for a heavier coverage. Use Airbrush Flawless Finish with the Powder & Sculpt Brush tracing down the t-zone and under the eyes to eliminate any extra shine.
- Now you have a flawless base, take your Brow Lift and use the brush end to comb the hairs upwards revealing their natural shape. Then fill in the brows with fine strokes in the direction of the hair growth. To accentuate and lift the arch use the central highlighter across the bottom of the brow.
- To define your facial framework use the Sculpt shade of Filmstar Bronze & Glow. Use the Bronzer Brush in large circular motions along the cheeks, across the bridge of the nose and on the corners of your forehead – places the sun would naturally hit your face. Dust the product across the chin and underneath the jawline, blending into your neck for a natural glow.
- Take your Luxury Palette: The Golden Goddess and apply the Prime shade to the entire eye lid using the Eye Blender Brush. With the Eye Smudger Brush apply the Prime shade to the inner corners to open and brighten the eyes. Nestle the Enhance shade in the socket with the Blender Brush depositing the colour back and forth in a “windscreen wiper” motion. Then use the Eye Smudger Brush and apply the Enhance shade along the upper and lower lash line. Next apply the Smoke shade back and forth from the outer corner of the eye, into the socket and along the upper lash line. The Pop shade is best applied with your finger tips to the centre of your eyelid, adding glamour and sparkle.
- Take your Classic Sophia Eye Liner along the top lash line lifting upwards and outwards on the outer corner of the eye for a soft, subtle flick.
- To finish of the eyes use Full Fat Lashes Mascara, depositing the product in the root of the lashes to give the eye as much lift as possible. Elongate the eye by using the wand at an angle, dragging the corner lashes outwards. For the bottom lashes, turn the wand vertically and use the tapered end to coat each lash.
- Sharpen your Lip Cheat in Pillow Talk and look into the mirror, smiling. By tightening the skin on the lips it is easier to see exactly where to apply the pencil. Starting on the outer corners trace the liner just outside the natural lip line. This will help cheat a fuller pout and give perfect symmetry to the lips.
- To apply K.I.S.S.I.N.G Stoned Rose lipstick you may apply the product straight from the bullet or use the Lip Brush. As the brush is squared off it helps give precision on the outer corners and perfectly angles your cupid’s bow. Use Lip Lustre in Ibiza Nights for a glossy sheen to dial up your 3-dimensional pout.
- Finally, take the Blusher Brush to the outside shade of your Cheek to Chic: Ecstasy and swish the colour in big circular motions along the cheekbones. Use the central Pop shade on the apple of the cheek to enhance the colour.
And these are the other looks you can choose from…
If you get a chance to go let me know! Or if you have any products you’d recommend – thank you xx
I bumped into a very old friend earlier this week, her son had just turned one and was fast asleep in his buggy, she updated me on how he was doing, how she was doing, where she was living, working etc and I listened, in a way I hoped looked like ‘intent’ but probably more ‘confused’ as really I was stood there regretting like crazy that I hadn’t bothered 1. not showering 2. not brushing my hair 3. grabbing yesterdays clothes from the floor and finally 4. not a shred of makeup on my face. Now I am a firm believer that a woman shouldn’t always be polished to the max, but all these four sins together did not a pretty sight make!!!!
So I ask myself, most mornings, why bother? Who is actually going to see me today apart from the toddler more interested in Mr Tumbles makeup than mine. Even the days I have play dates its far too easy to chuck on the mum uniform and make-do. Work days I am at home so even easier to sit in my jeans and a sweater and not care.
But every day I make that effort to wake-up a little earlier, jump in the shower before the monitor starts cry alerting me, blow dry my hair (or use my new fave Bumble and Bumble don’t blow it lotion woop!) and use the feel-good essentials that are a hydrating primer, foundation, concealer, blush, mascara and eyebrow pencil. It takes less than an hour and then for the rest of the day I genuinely feel better about myself. Catching myself in the mirror isn’t a horror show atleast! If I feel good I look after myself more in the day, making the right choices with my food instead of chowing down on dry bagels (mmmmm).
Tips for speedy polishing:
- Choose your outfit the night before.
- If you don’t have time in the morning shower at night and wrap your hair in one of those towel hats or a loose bun.
- Clean hair and skin is a must – the better condition your skin is in the better you look with and without makeup.
- Blow-dry rough for speed until its part dried and then either wrap up into a bun which will create loose waves as it dries – or using a paddle brush finish the blow-dry straight.
- A good base and a good concealer are quick and easy to apply.
- Add a stain to your lips and cheeks like Benetint for a speedy flushed and wide awake look.
- Mascara will finish your perfect look.
And here are some of my absolute favourite beauty inspo pictures which I hope might help you be inspired to pick up that lipstick and indulge in some beauty therapy – not for anyone else, just for you.
I would absolutely LOVE to know your mum beauty tips and why you bother… comment below if you have time thank you xx
For anyone that was a little frightened of contouring (thats me) the latest beauty trend is a softer and easier way of getting on the bandwagon. Strobing is contourings au naturel sister… swapping bronzer for illuminator you can create beautiful dewy skin, the sort of skin only eight hours sleep, every night creates. In face this really is the perfect trick for us sleep deprived, run ragged, tired mums!
Here’s how to fake your perfect skin…
- Preparation is key! Use a hydrating moisturiser or primer (I love the Laura Mercier hydrating primer) – having well prepped skin is even more important when strobing.
- Use a tinted moisturiser rather than a heavy foundation, this will give an all over glow. But just as you would with a foundation ensure if matches your skin and you have no marks around your hairline or jaw line.
- Choose your highlighter with the help of a professional, it needs to match your skin tone, then apply to your cheekbones, centre of your forehead, arch of your eyebrow, tip of your nose, cupids brow and the centre of your chin.
- Use a fan brush to blend the product into your skin so there are no obvious marks.
- if your skin is oily make sure you steer away from highlighting any breakouts – keep them matt.
Good luck and let me know if you have any of your own beauty tips for faking that perfect skin I crave!