Emmanuelle Alt, editor-in-chief of French Vogue and my style crush for at least six years.
Because she nails that effortless chic rock n roll Parisian style. She has an I don’t care attitude towards her dressing (when obviously she does care – very much) but she wears next to no make-up, her hair is hassle free, she sticks to a uniform dress code and she looks so good… to women and men.
Knowing what you like and what looks good on your body is the key to nonchalant dressing, not going with every trend the highstreet adopts from the seasons catwalks and creating a wardrobe of key pieces you can call on year on year. If you love something, find it really beautiful, then you know come the following Winter/Summer you will want to wear it again. It’s not a trend its beautiful. And if it makes you feel beautiful chances are you look beautiful in it as really it all boils down to self confidence and that is something Emmanuelle Alt has in bucket loads!!!
As Summer is getting ready to say farewell (trying to ignore the cold) I am taking style inspiration from this amazing woman in planning my AW15 wardrobe. Here are some of my favourite looks….
Any tips from your style icons? Love to hear whose style you admire so I can style stalk them too!
Thanks & love,
Following my holiday dreaming, and now that my Italian tan has faded (sobs), I have turned to the bottle, the fake tan bottle! I remember my first dabble at fake tan, I must have been about ten and my own mother had an old bottle of Sainsburys something in the bathroom cupboard, I remember it smelt like cleaning fluid and was a dark red colour, mahogany almost. I wanted to see how it worked so smeared some on my forearm and the next morning I was left with an orange/red giant patch of skin. I had to tell everyone at school my mums hair dye had fallen on my arm as I was too embarrassed to say I had experimented with tan! Many things have changed since then, fake tan isn’t a filthy subject, it no longer smells filthy and it certainly looks a hell of a lot better!
I have tried a lot of tanning products over the past five years but it was only this year I found my one true tanning love – Vita Liberata 2-3 week tan. This beauty is amazing!!! I use Medium and after two applications it is the perfect tan shade for me, looks just like the real thing, fades over time like the real thing, no smells, easy to apply and no streaks what so ever. It is not the cheapest on the market but I go on applications per month and this bottle lasts as you needn’t top-up as often. Price per wear for beauty! Also – look out for Boots deals on this as they often have it on offer and that’s when I tend to stock up.
Here are my top tips for application… if you get a chance to try it out don’t forget to let me know your thoughts!
- This tan is unusual in that they actually say not to use any moisturiser before tanning, exfoliating is essential though – elbows and knees – but then the skin should be completely dry and clean.
- Use your tanning mitt – it dries in an instant so don’t risk it with bare hands and any stray drops wash off straight away.
- Squirt two to three pumps onto the mitt and squish it around.
- Go in circular movements starting at your thigh then down to your calf.
- When the legs are done and it looks like there is no more on the mitt, squeeze it and more will come out, use this for your feet.
- Think beach feet – only put tan where the sun would naturally hit – the tops of your feet not the sides!
- Do your toes very lightly, dark toes are a massive giveaway – and just the tops, then go across on the back of the ankle, not up and down.
- Next is your arms, starting at the top and working down to your forearm, long circular movements.
- Then the hand – each finger lightly up and down but not the insides – again think beach hands.
- Then chest and stomach, long circular strokes.
- Finally its the face – apply in the middle, t-zone, hairline and finally chin.
- Don’t forget a bit behind the ears for when your hair is up.
- Finishing touches make all the difference to the natural look – use a cloth to dab your nose creases, upper lip and eyebrows.
- Then a damp cloth on your elbows, knees and the back of your ankles.
- Final bit – damp cloth between each finger.
- Ta-da you are one hot bronze goddess mama!
…and if you want to increase the colour wait 3-24 hours before showering and doing it again. A few faux freckles look super cute too – use an eyebrow pencil to dab them on where the sun would naturally fall on your face.
Let me know if you have any other tanning favourites or tips I’d love to hear from you….
It seems like everyone is on their holidays right now, constant images of cocktails, tanned limbs and sandy beaches have taken over my feeds and I am finding myself dreaming of holidaying… I was lucky enough to have two holidays earlier in the year, a trip to Marrakech in the Spring and an early little Summer family adventure in Italy (which I subsequently fell in love with and am now planning a re-visit for 2016). But that doesn’t stop me wishing I was sitting on a beach sipping that cool cocktail with my toes wiggling in the sand.
So in a bid to calm the envy I am indulging in some Summer inspiration… I hope you enjoy and can pretend you too are sat on the beach wind in your hair and sun warm on your face. Here’s to holidays and making memories that last a lifetime…
Love V x
Happy Friday! Seeing as it’s the end of the week I thought what better excuse is there for taking some time out to indulge in the world of celebrity. And my favourite type of celebrity indulgence is street style. Getting to see how people with all that access to designer clothes, make up artists and stylists dress on their down-days, their days spent with their own children doing (relatively) normal activities we all do, the park, shopping, hailing a cab! These celeb mums all work the slightly messy, try to look like you haven’t tried, rocky style that I just love. Plenty of flat ankle boots, big sunglasses, skimpy sandals, ripped denim, statement scarves, cool hats, top knots and half knots… and the humble t-shirt. I hope this gives you some style inspiration for your weekend ahead… I never knew the power of a hat, time to add a couple to my wardrobe.
Love to hear what you think, do you have any celebrity mum style crushes?
There has been one designer (apart from Isabel Marant who I am always obsessed with)… but one new love designer that I have been obsessing over the collections – Chloe.
Everything Clare Waight Keller does seems to be sprinkled with fairy dust – I want everything from the Fall ’15 collection. Not that my bank manager would allow it so I have been keeping my eyes open for the best Chloe-esque pieces on the highstreet like the Zara clutch I instagrammed earlier in the week. Granted not a patch on the original designs but at £35.99 you can’t complain. Have a look at the Fall-Winter campaign shots – do you not just want to dive in and be these girls?! Oh to live in the world of Chloe…
Inject a little bit of the Chloe life into your world… heaven!
Shop the collection here.