I live in my jeans and I have to force myself out of them these days – but when I do – a maxi skirt or dress is always there to comfort me – Spring, Summer, Autumn or Winter. So today I wanted to shine the spotlight on the maxi skirt and what an essential piece it is to have in your wardrobe. How best to style it. And where to buy one right now.
Five tips to style the maxi
- Always show your waist – a longer coat or cardigan leaves you in a swathe of fabric that can just be drowning even on the tallest of people. A little cropped jacket like a biker or denim is perfect.
- Go big on the knits. I love a big chunky knit styled with a floaty maxi skirt.
- Thinking opposites again – feminine skirt – masculine shoes. Opt for biker boots, this seasons trekking boots even – or your old faithful trainers.
- Don’t keep for best – that gorgeous maxi you’ve worn twice in ten years for weddings – just wear it in the day. Throw on an old leather biker and it’ll instantly dress it down. Add a messy top knot, push up the sleeves and you’re day-chic-done.
- Take a big bag with you – smaller bags like clutches will change the look to ‘Ascot’ which is not what you’re aiming for. Big, soft or structured it doesn’t matter but in this case – bigger is better.
The highstreet edit – and all the inspo below…