When I am struggling to pull together an outfit for an occasion I will always turn to a shirt – day or evening – paired with a skirt or trousers, flats or heels. A shirt can be as masculine as it is feminine. This is not a blouse. It is a sharp tailored shirt. You can wear it open and showing a flash of underwear or buttoned up to your neck. It’s elegant yet androgynous.
And for the ultimate in luxury – I will pull a silk shirt.
Sexy without trying it glides across your chest as you move and looks as beautiful in sunlight as it does the dim lights of a bar.
It can be an expensive luxury though with prices starting at around £200.
Enter the satin shirt – the cheaper alternative. It won’t look as luxurious granted but perhaps if you wear it enough it could warrant a splurge on a silk version? Plus when prices start around £10 you won’t worry too much when you spill your drink down it in the aforementioned dim lights of a bar.
- Wear as a masculine piece. Don’t be afraid of oversized – just ensure you tuck it in.
- Look to style icons like Caroline de Maigret and her Parisian chic styling. Keep it modern and simple.
- Buy the best you can afford (once you know you will wear it) and make sure the fit flatters your chest size.
- Roll up the sleeves for casual chic.
- Pair with ripped denim to play with your opposites.
- Wear makeup simple and hair rough-dried. The perfectly polished look is best left for cotton.
Shop my edit below – from 100% silk to my pick of bargain satin buys.