I bumped into a very old friend earlier this week, her son had just turned one and was fast asleep in his buggy, she updated me on how he was doing, how she was doing, where she was living, working etc and I listened, in a way I hoped looked like ‘intent’ but probably more ‘confused’ as really I was stood there regretting like crazy that I hadn’t bothered 1. not showering 2. not brushing my hair 3. grabbing yesterdays clothes from the floor and finally 4. not a shred of makeup on my face. Now I am a firm believer that a woman shouldn’t always be polished to the max, but all these four sins together did not a pretty sight make!!!!
So I ask myself, most mornings, why bother? Who is actually going to see me today apart from the toddler more interested in Mr Tumbles makeup than mine. Even the days I have play dates its far too easy to chuck on the mum uniform and make-do. Work days I am at home so even easier to sit in my jeans and a sweater and not care.
But every day I make that effort to wake-up a little earlier, jump in the shower before the monitor starts cry alerting me, blow dry my hair (or use my new fave Bumble and Bumble don’t blow it lotion woop!) and use the feel-good essentials that are a hydrating primer, foundation, concealer, blush, mascara and eyebrow pencil. It takes less than an hour and then for the rest of the day I genuinely feel better about myself. Catching myself in the mirror isn’t a horror show atleast! If I feel good I look after myself more in the day, making the right choices with my food instead of chowing down on dry bagels (mmmmm).
Tips for speedy polishing:
- Choose your outfit the night before.
- If you don’t have time in the morning shower at night and wrap your hair in one of those towel hats or a loose bun.
- Clean hair and skin is a must – the better condition your skin is in the better you look with and without makeup.
- Blow-dry rough for speed until its part dried and then either wrap up into a bun which will create loose waves as it dries – or using a paddle brush finish the blow-dry straight.
- A good base and a good concealer are quick and easy to apply.
- Add a stain to your lips and cheeks like Benetint for a speedy flushed and wide awake look.
- Mascara will finish your perfect look.
And here are some of my absolute favourite beauty inspo pictures which I hope might help you be inspired to pick up that lipstick and indulge in some beauty therapy – not for anyone else, just for you.
I would absolutely LOVE to know your mum beauty tips and why you bother… comment below if you have time thank you xx