Following my holiday dreaming, and now that my Italian tan has faded (sobs), I have turned to the bottle, the fake tan bottle! I remember my first dabble at fake tan, I must have been about ten and my own mother had an old bottle of Sainsburys something in the bathroom cupboard, I remember it smelt like cleaning fluid and was a dark red colour, mahogany almost. I wanted to see how it worked so smeared some on my forearm and the next morning I was left with an orange/red giant patch of skin. I had to tell everyone at school my mums hair dye had fallen on my arm as I was too embarrassed to say I had experimented with tan! Many things have changed since then, fake tan isn’t a filthy subject, it no longer smells filthy and it certainly looks a hell of a lot better!
I have tried a lot of tanning products over the past five years but it was only this year I found my one true tanning love – Vita Liberata 2-3 week tan. This beauty is amazing!!! I use Medium and after two applications it is the perfect tan shade for me, looks just like the real thing, fades over time like the real thing, no smells, easy to apply and no streaks what so ever. It is not the cheapest on the market but I go on applications per month and this bottle lasts as you needn’t top-up as often. Price per wear for beauty! Also – look out for Boots deals on this as they often have it on offer and that’s when I tend to stock up.
Here are my top tips for application… if you get a chance to try it out don’t forget to let me know your thoughts!
- This tan is unusual in that they actually say not to use any moisturiser before tanning, exfoliating is essential though – elbows and knees – but then the skin should be completely dry and clean.
- Use your tanning mitt – it dries in an instant so don’t risk it with bare hands and any stray drops wash off straight away.
- Squirt two to three pumps onto the mitt and squish it around.
- Go in circular movements starting at your thigh then down to your calf.
- When the legs are done and it looks like there is no more on the mitt, squeeze it and more will come out, use this for your feet.
- Think beach feet – only put tan where the sun would naturally hit – the tops of your feet not the sides!
- Do your toes very lightly, dark toes are a massive giveaway – and just the tops, then go across on the back of the ankle, not up and down.
- Next is your arms, starting at the top and working down to your forearm, long circular movements.
- Then the hand – each finger lightly up and down but not the insides – again think beach hands.
- Then chest and stomach, long circular strokes.
- Finally its the face – apply in the middle, t-zone, hairline and finally chin.
- Don’t forget a bit behind the ears for when your hair is up.
- Finishing touches make all the difference to the natural look – use a cloth to dab your nose creases, upper lip and eyebrows.
- Then a damp cloth on your elbows, knees and the back of your ankles.
- Final bit – damp cloth between each finger.
- Ta-da you are one hot bronze goddess mama!
…and if you want to increase the colour wait 3-24 hours before showering and doing it again. A few faux freckles look super cute too – use an eyebrow pencil to dab them on where the sun would naturally fall on your face.
Let me know if you have any other tanning favourites or tips I’d love to hear from you….