Charlotte Tilbury is the celebrity makeup artist of the moment, and she has just won the InStyle magazine 2015 makeup artist of the year award. Last Friday I went for a pre-booked makeover at Charlotte Tilbury and I was really excited to see what tips and tricks I could get from them, as well as redeeming the £15 I’d put down on the session… and more I was sure!
I knew I would have to choose from one of ten looks before the makeover started and my husband and I had a quick browse the night before. His choice was ‘Sophisticate’ or ‘Uptown Girl’ but I was drawn to either ‘Ingenue’ or ‘Golden Goddess’. The makeup artist in charge of my beauty destiny recommended the ‘Golden Goddess’ so I was all set to be made up into a glowing cali girl!
It all started with skincare and then the layers of makeup. The final look was very polished and very golden. I don’t like to look like I have made a huge effort. I love that make-up look that looks like you’re actually not wearing anything so I wasn’t a fan of the eyeshadow, too shimmery for me, nor the lipstick, too ‘done’ for me. But the skin, eyelashes, eyebrows, cheeks etc were just as I had hoped. So then came the selling, which did get a little hard-sell… I opted for the mascara, which was big as I have used the same Chanel mascara for years. Also bought the eyebrow pencil which I think was the BEST purchase, it has a great nib, colour and a fantastic highlighter for under the brow which makes the brow so defined. In fact the video (below) shows it being used just in the arch but if you use it from the start of your brow it works miracles! Then finally… I bought the most amazing sculpt and highlight set which I have linked below. This beauty is seriously good. It gives your face incredible definition and is so easy to use. No crazy contouring just defined features. Love it!
I’ve included all the details of my look, how to achieve it, and the best products (in my humble opinion) below… as well as all the other looks you can choose from if you fancy booking yourself in for a session.
This is the amazing palette I bought and click here for a tutorial on how to use it...
These are Charlottes tips on how to get the Goddess look….
HOW TO APPLY
- Prepare the skin with Charlotte’s Magic Cream, massaging the product into the skin and next apply Wonderglow for a golden glow. For a more luminous dewy complexion, mix the Wonderglow with your shade of Light Wonder foundation and apply all over the face. Use The Retoucher on targeted areas, such as redness, blemishes and dark circles, tapping the product on to the skin for a heavier coverage. Use Airbrush Flawless Finish with the Powder & Sculpt Brush tracing down the t-zone and under the eyes to eliminate any extra shine.
- Now you have a flawless base, take your Brow Lift and use the brush end to comb the hairs upwards revealing their natural shape. Then fill in the brows with fine strokes in the direction of the hair growth. To accentuate and lift the arch use the central highlighter across the bottom of the brow.
- To define your facial framework use the Sculpt shade of Filmstar Bronze & Glow. Use the Bronzer Brush in large circular motions along the cheeks, across the bridge of the nose and on the corners of your forehead – places the sun would naturally hit your face. Dust the product across the chin and underneath the jawline, blending into your neck for a natural glow.
- Take your Luxury Palette: The Golden Goddess and apply the Prime shade to the entire eye lid using the Eye Blender Brush. With the Eye Smudger Brush apply the Prime shade to the inner corners to open and brighten the eyes. Nestle the Enhance shade in the socket with the Blender Brush depositing the colour back and forth in a “windscreen wiper” motion. Then use the Eye Smudger Brush and apply the Enhance shade along the upper and lower lash line. Next apply the Smoke shade back and forth from the outer corner of the eye, into the socket and along the upper lash line. The Pop shade is best applied with your finger tips to the centre of your eyelid, adding glamour and sparkle.
- Take your Classic Sophia Eye Liner along the top lash line lifting upwards and outwards on the outer corner of the eye for a soft, subtle flick.
- To finish of the eyes use Full Fat Lashes Mascara, depositing the product in the root of the lashes to give the eye as much lift as possible. Elongate the eye by using the wand at an angle, dragging the corner lashes outwards. For the bottom lashes, turn the wand vertically and use the tapered end to coat each lash.
- Sharpen your Lip Cheat in Pillow Talk and look into the mirror, smiling. By tightening the skin on the lips it is easier to see exactly where to apply the pencil. Starting on the outer corners trace the liner just outside the natural lip line. This will help cheat a fuller pout and give perfect symmetry to the lips.
- To apply K.I.S.S.I.N.G Stoned Rose lipstick you may apply the product straight from the bullet or use the Lip Brush. As the brush is squared off it helps give precision on the outer corners and perfectly angles your cupid’s bow. Use Lip Lustre in Ibiza Nights for a glossy sheen to dial up your 3-dimensional pout.
- Finally, take the Blusher Brush to the outside shade of your Cheek to Chic: Ecstasy and swish the colour in big circular motions along the cheekbones. Use the central Pop shade on the apple of the cheek to enhance the colour.
And these are the other looks you can choose from…